Is Breast Reduction Surgery Safe?Dr. Lokesh Handa
Today many women experience issues with breast asymmetry or their breast is out of proportion with the rest of their body. It not only impacts their self-esteem and confidence but also causes physical issues like chronic shoulder, back and neck pain. Large breasts can also worsen discomfort in women, especially those with arthritis or spinal problems.
If you are one of those who are dealing with large and heavy breasts, don’t fret! A breast reduction procedure can help you to get rid of excess fat and achieve breasts that are more proportionate to the rest of your body. Breast reduction surgery is considered safe; however, risks are associated with it, like any other surgery. Keep reading to know the safety of the procedure.
Is it Safe to Get Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast reduction is a surgical procedure that removes excess fat, tissue and skin from the breasts to make them smaller and more proportional to the rest of the body. Breast reduction surgery in Delhi is often performed to alleviate discomfort and physical pain caused by large breasts and improve the appearance of the breasts.
Breast reduction surgery is generally considered safe when performed by a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon. Breast reduction surgery is performed under general anaesthesia. Like any surgical procedure, it carries certain risks and potential complications, such as infection, scarring, and changes in sensation.
However, serious complications can be eliminated if a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon performs the procedure. Therefore, discussing the potential risks and complications with your surgeon before undergoing breast reduction surgery is important.
Risks Associated with Breast Reduction Surgery
Here are the potential complications and risks associated with a breast reduction procedure:
- Infection: Like any surgery, there is a risk of infection associated with breast reduction surgery.
- Bleeding: Bleeding is another potential complication of breast reduction surgery. In some cases, the bleeding may be minor and can be controlled with medications, but in other cases, it may be more severe and require a transfusion or additional surgery to stop the bleeding.
- Change in sensation: Some people may experience numbness or decreased sensation in the breasts, nipples, or surrounding skin after breast reduction surgery in Delhi.
- Poor healing or scarring: Poor wound healing can lead to more noticeable scarring.
- Hematoma: A hematoma is a blood collection outside the blood vessels that can cause pain and swelling.
- Unsatisfactory results: There is a risk that the surgery results may fail to meet your expectations.
- Anaesthesia complications: As this surgery is performed under general anaesthesia, there is a risk of complications from the anaesthesia itself. These complications can be serious and may include reactions to the anaesthesia, breathing problems, and blood clots.
Although the breast reduction procedure is considered the safest, like any other surgery, it carries some side effects and complications. A board-certified surgeon can help you to eliminate all the risks associated with the procedure. Therefore, discussing these potential risks and complications with your surgeon before breast reduction surgery is important.
If you are looking for a breast reduction procedure, book a consultation with Dr Lokesh Handa at Med Esthetiks today!